Friday, October 1, 2010

Herniated Lumbar Disk, Back Pain, and Long Kayak Fishing Trips

This is part of a fishing kayak review combined with a fishing trip report published on the Wavewalk Fishing Kayaks blog, and on the Jacksonville Kayak Fishing forum:

I bought a Wavewalk kayak  in anticipation of using it for fishing the flooded grass because of the ease of standing in it and also because my lower back had been bothering me after long trips in my [15 ft long SOT fishing kayak]. Since then I've actually herniated a lumbar disk and was out of commission for 6 weeks, but although I'm functional now using the [15 ft long SOT fishing kayak] is out of the question in the near future.
I finally got to try out the W for what I bought it for.  We had flood tides over the weekend and I was anxious to pole the boat around the flooded spartina grass in search of tailing red fish.
I was not disappointed, it performed flawlessly.
It poles very easily in the grass, the view is great standing, and there is nearly no balancing effort for standing in it. I actually put a board across the top of the seat and poled standing on top of that. The view there is about 12" above the water and the perspective that gives you hunting for tails is incredible.
I've also used the boat for some short trips fishing, and find that it's a great little boat to fish out of because it allows you to be in so many positions while fishing and you never feel the need to get out and stretch or get the numbness out of your butt.
-----------------
The Wavewalk is a keeper in my kayak herd now and for the near future will probably be the only boat I'll be able to go out in. It's nice and compact, stores a lot of stuff easily and keeps it dry, plus allows those of us with non cooperating bodies to fish more comfortably.
I'm also looking forward to staying nice and dry and warm fishing out of it this winter. This is a great boat to own even if my back wasn't part of the reason I bought it.

Kevin

To read the entire review go to the Wavewalk Fishing Kayaks blog >>
Note: To review featuring on Wavewalk's blog does not reveal the mentioned SOT fishing kayak's name and brand, but if you're interested to know what it is, you'll find the info in the Jacksonville Kayak Fishing forum version.

No comments: